This morning I was craving pancakes so I searched for a simple recipe to satisfy my craving ASAP! I stumbled across http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/breakfastbrunch/r/HodgsonPancake.htm and modified the recipe to my liking. Despite wheat being in the name, buckwheat flour is naturally gluten-free. Additionally, buckwheat is rich in flavonoids, which are known to protect against disease. Win-win situation!
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp maple syrup
dash of salt
1 chia egg
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsps melted Earth Balance
1. Mix 3 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds to make the chia egg. Let sit for 10-15 minutes or until it reaches an egg-like consistency.
2. Preheat skillet/griddle to 375 F.
2. While you’re waiting for your chia egg to form, combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl with a whisk. Add the chia egg when ready.
3. Using 1/4 cup, scoop pancakes onto the griddle, flipping when bubbles form.
4. Serve with maple syrup and toppings of choice.
*I tried a pancake plain and wasn’t too impressed with the flavor, but once I added maple syrup, bananas, and strawberries, they were delicious!