Happy Turkey (or Tofurkey) Day! My family and I started the day off with a 5k this morning, which got us in great moods as well as stimulated our appetites for a delicious feast. Since 3 out of 4 of us don’t eat meat and 2 of those 3 are on pretty strict diets, we certainly don’t have the typical Thanksgiving meal. Our Thanksgiving meal may be far from traditional, but it is certainly delicious!
This year we enjoyed fresh Scottish salmon, mashed sweet potatoes, kale salad, and roasted cauliflower. For dessert I made pumpkin fudge and apple crisp.
The kale recipe can be found here: http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=765609
The roasted cauliflower recipe: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-with-cranberries/
Mashed Sweet potatoes:
4 large sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp soy-free earth balance
2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
¾ cup raw pecans
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash and scrub sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are soft and skin can be easily removed.
- Once potatoes are done baking, remove from oven and turn down the oven temperature to 350 F.
- Chop pecans and roast in oven at 350 F for 5 minutes.
- Remove skin and mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add the salt, almond milk, and Earth Balance and combine. Top with cinnamon and chopped pecans.
Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon:
2.5 lb fresh salmon
1 cedar plank
1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat gas grill to medium.
- Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- With clean hands or a spatula, rub the mixture evenly throughout the top of the salmon filet.
- Place the prepared salmon onto the cedar plank (skin down).
- Grill for 30 minutes, or until salmon turns light pink and flaky.
The pumpkin fudge recipe can be found here: http://purelytwins.com/2012/10/15/how-make-healthy-fresh-pumpkin-pie-fudge-recipe/
The recipe for the apples was inspired by Detoxinista at http://detoxinista.com/2013/11/healthy-baked-cinnamon-apples/ and prior to baking the dish, I topped it with a crumb topping from http://greatist.com/health/gluten-free-apple-crisp-healthy-recipe using Earth Balance instead of butter.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never have enough.” -Oprah Winfrey