Tonight I made one of all-time favorite desserts/snacks, Energy Balls! I fell in love with this recipe about a year ago and have made the energy balls countless times since. The recipe is by Give Me Some Oven and can be found here: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/. Below is my adapted recipe:
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I use gluten-free Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (I prefer peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (can reduce or leave out if you want the nut butter taste to be more prominent and the overall product to be less dry)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use vegan miniature choc. chips)
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/3 cup honey (can substitute agave or maple syrup for honey, but I have found that honey works best)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Stir all ingredients in a medium bowl and once uniformly mixed, stick the bowl in the fridge to chill for 30-45 min (this makes it easier to form the balls. Once chilled, form the “dough” into small balls using your hands (wetting your hands may lead to easier forming). Place the balls in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Makes about 15-20 balls.